Honey can be used to sweeten our tea, smoothies or pancakes. It is very beneficial for our overall health, because it given us energy, regulates our blood sugar levels, helps the process of weight loss, improves digestion, fights insomnia and many more.
Honey is also very useful for beauty purposes due to its powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It can improve the health and looks of your skin and hair.
Raw honey is an amazing natural solution for everyday skin and hair care, for treating dry hair, dandruff, acne or as a tanning fix.
These are the 10 most incredible uses and benefits of honey for your skin and hair.
This autoimmune disease which affects the skin cells is causing itching, redness, lesions and blisters. Honey is not a cure, but it can relieve and sooth inflammation and dryness, skin peeling or patching and fight infections.
The Complementary Therapies in Medicine has published a study in 2003 stating that topical application of a mixture of honey, olive oil and beeswax can treat psoriasis vulgaris and dermatitis.
- Mix equal amount (1 teaspoon) of honey, olive oil and beeswax
- Warm the mixture in the microware, and melted
- Stir it and let it cool down
- Apply the mixture on the affected skin few times a day
Avoid picking the lesions and scratching the irritated skin.
Excessive oil secretion and dust mixed with oil in the skin pores create a ground for development of bacteria, resulting in acne.
Honey can reduce acne and prevent infections because of its powerful anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties.
The nutrients from the honey will keep the skin moisturized and fresh.
- Apply honey on the pimple and the surrounding skin, let it act for half an hour then rinse off. Repeat the procedure 2-3 times a day
- Mix 1 tbsp. of honey with ½ tsp. of cinnamon powder, apply the mixture on the acne and let it act for 15 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water and repeat the procedure 1-2 times a day.
Prevents hair loss:
Honey can prevent hair loss and stimulate growth, because of its antioxidant, fungicidal and germicidal properties. Also, it can be used to control dandruff, which is one of the reasons for hair loss.
- Mix 1 tbsp. of each and the same amount of onion juice, massage the scalp and the roots with this mixture and let it act for 30 minutes. Then shampoo the hair as usual. Repeat the treatment 2 times a week.
- You can also prepare a hair mask from equal parts or honey and yogurt, apply it on wet hair and let it act for 30-40 minutes. Remove the mask with a shampoo. Repeat the treatment 2-3 times a week.
Prevents premature skin aging:
The antioxidant from honey can protect the skin from free radicals which are causing cell damage, speeding up the aging process. This results in wrinkles, fine lines and sagging skin.
Honey is useful for hydrating the skin, keeping it young and fresh.
- Mix equal parts of raw honey and fresh lemon juice, apply the mixture on the face and neck and let it dry. Rinse off and repeat the anti-aging treatment 1-2 times a week.
- Mix 2 tbsp. of raw honey and the same amount of avocado pulp, spread the mask with your fingers on the face and neck, and let it act for 30 minutes, before rinsing it off. Repeat the treatment once a week.
Heals minor wounds and cuts:
As a powerful germicide, honey can be used to treat and heal minor wounds and cuts, drawing away the fluids from the affected area. It prevents microorganisms from developing in the wound and reduces the risk of infections.
The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews has published a study in 2012 stating that honey can be very effective in topical treatments foe acute wound, but not chronic wounds like infected surgical wounds or skin ulcers.
Use only high-quality Manuka honey to treat minor wounds and cuts.
- Apply a thick layer of Manuka honey on the affected area.
- Cover it with a bandage and let it act for couple of hours
- Clean the area with moist cloth
- Repeat the treatment if needed.
Scars on visible parts of the body are something everyone wants to get rid of. Honey can be very useful for minimizing the appearance and lightening scars, because it improves tissue regeneration and healing, reviving the skin cells.
- Mix equal parts of honey and extra virgin coconut or olive oil
- Apply the mixture on the scar, massaging it in circular motions for 1-2 minutes
- Cover the scar with warm cloth and let it cool
- Use a cotton ball to wipe the skin clean
- Repeat the treatment 2 times a day.
Honey can solve the problem with rough, dry hands, because of its humectant properties which help lock the moisture. This makes the hands smooth and soft. Also, honey is very powerful in fighting free radicals which damage the skin and cause aging.
- Rub some honey on the hands and let it act for 10-15 minutes. Wash it off and apply some mild hand moisturized. Repeat this procedure every day.
- Mix equal parts of honey and glycerin, apply it on the hands and let it dry, then wash it off. Repeat the procedure every day if you want your hands to be soft.
Softens dry and chapped lips
Honey is excellent for treating dry and chapped lips, making them soft and supple. It moisturizes the lips preventing painful cracks and reduces a risk of infection.
- Apply some honey on the lips with your hands a few times a day, as a lip balm
- You can also make a lip scrub using honey and sugar in ration 1:2; mix both ingredients and gently scrub the lips for a few minutes, to remove the dead skin cells; Use the scrub once a week if you want to have flake-free lips.
Also, don`t lick your lips, because this makes them dry, and drink lots of fluids to stay hydrated.
Helps with dry and damaged hair
The vitamins and minerals from honey are very beneficial for the hair. The humectant properties will keep the hair moisturized, so it`s great for treating dry and damaged hair. Honey can sooth itchy scalp, making the hair soft and smooth.
- Mix half a cup of raw honey with ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Warm it for a few seconds in the microwave
- Apply the mixture on the scalp, all the way to the hair ends
- Let it act for 10-20 minutes
- Wash it off with some mild shampoo
- Repeat the treatment 2 times a week, until you get the wanted results.
Treat minor burns
Honey can also treat minor burns from first degree, which have affected only the surface of the skin. It will reduce swelling, prevent infections, and accelerate the process of healing, due to the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Also, it can decrease the chances of scars.
- Apply some honey on a gauze
- Put the gauze directly on the burn
- Change the gauze bandage 3-4 times a day
- Repeat the treatment until the burn is healed.